Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) is committed to creating 21st century learners by building creative and innovative thinking and tools for self expression through theatre. SCT is seeking a part-time teaching artist (10-20 hours/week) to co-facilitate current in-school programs and teach other theatre programs for afterschool programs in schools and various school groups.
SCT continues to partner with Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle School in a year-long program The World Of Theatre. This will be the second full school year of this program. SCT also works with various schools, groups and organizations throughout the year. The part time teaching artist may work on multiple SCT education programs.
- Part-Time Teaching Artist will both lead and co-facilitate various theatre education programs that Single Carrot provides.
- The teaching artist will be expected to arrive at location with adequate time prior to workshop time to set up the classroom, as well as clean up the classroom afterward.
- Teaching Artist will adhere to lesson plans, but must be able to think creatively and be able to respond to unexpected and last minute changes.
- Teaching Artist may be requested to create robust grade-appropriate lesson plans for the classes for various education programs.
- Many programs culminate in a performance or production. Teaching Artist is expected to coordinate and plan those performances.
- The teaching artist is expected to attend planning and/or staff meetings at Single Carrot Theatre as requested. This position reports to the Artistic Director.
- When teaching artist is the sole facilitator, should the teaching artist be unable to teach any of the classes, it is the teaching artist’s responsibility to procure a substitute from the substitute list provided by Single Carrot.
The World of Theatre, Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle School
- Co-Facilitate and assist lead teacher in elementary and middle school classes.
- Available to substitute for lead teaching artist when needed.
- Support lead teaching artist in implementing lesson plans and managing classroom.
- Assist with coordination and planning of spring production.
Various SCT Education programs
- Create and implement grade-appropriate lessons for various theatre programs with elementary and middle school students.
- Coordinate and plan any final performances of education programs.
- Lead any requests for workshops and in-class sessions as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre or education, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in arts education, specifically in theatre or performance.
- 2+ years teaching, assistant teaching or co-teaching experience of elementary and middle school grade levels and/or experience working within a city school system preferred.
- 2+ years theatre experience, performance or direction preferred.
- Instructor must be able to pass a fingerprint and criminal background check.
Salary: $11-14 hourly
Teaching opportunities are contingent on funding and available programs
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume with references to [email protected].
No phone calls please.
ABOUT SINGLE CARROT THEATRE
The Single Carrot Theatre ensemble is a driving force for theatrical innovation in Baltimore—championing new, diverse, and socially significant works; reinvigorating the classics; creating vibrant theatrical experiences; and fiercely supporting the growth of artists.
In 2006, a small ensemble from the University of Colorado conducted a nationwide search and decided to lay down roots and build a theatre in Baltimore. Now, entering its tenth season, Single Carrot theatre has produced 43 mainstage productions, participated in numerous collaborative endeavors with area nonprofits, offered extensive educational programming for both children and adults and engaged in international exchanges with theatre artists from Russia and Bulgaria. Single Carrot Theatre moved to a permanent home in January 2014. Firmly planted in Baltimore, Single Carrot Theatre has made it a priority to be a part of the community and to engage and empower Baltimore’s residents through theatre.
Single Carrot Theatre is an ensemble based theatre company where the ensemble artists of the organization also serve administrative roles. Each ensemble member has voting rights and is actively involved in any big picture decisions and creation of new policy.
Single Carrot Theatre is committed to building a diverse community of staff, interns and artists. Individuals from all groups are encouraged to apply.