SUBMISSION DEADLINE: January 3, 2021
Street art and graffiti have a deep connection with railroads, as works of art crisscross the nation on train cars, connecting artists with unknown new communities. As a reflection on railroads themselves, the B&O Railroad Museum, in partnership with the Creative Alliance, is seeking street art and graffiti art proposals that respond to the idea of connectedness, in our Baltimore community and as a nation. Four selected artists will have the opportunity to create a mural of their design on a train car at the Museum.
HOW TO APPLY
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Submit the following materials to the B&O Railroad Museum by email to [email protected]:
• Original sketch of street art design that will be installed on train car.
• CV/Resume: Limit to three (3) pages.
• Letter of Intent: How do your personal style and past projects relate to this project.
○ Briefly describe your interest and concept for this project. Use 500 words or less.
• Supporting Materials:
○ Images: Up to ten digital images of relevant completed artwork.
– SUGGESTED: Upload images as JPG files
○ Images Descriptions: Include relevant descriptions with each image (include project budgets where applicable)
○ OPTIONAL: Video file that may demonstrates moving parts, time-based work, functionality, etc.
– SUGGESTED: Upload as mov, wmv, of flv files, no larger than 60MB each, nor longer than five minutes each
• One professional reference: complete contact information for references with a deep knowledge of your artwork and work methods.
• **Examples of archival digital submission platforms:
○ Google Docs
January 3, 2021 - Deadline to submit proposals
January 22, 2021 - Selected artists will be notified
January 29, 2021 - Deadline for artists to confirm participation.
Spring 2021 (date TBD) Installation begins
Summer 2021 (date TBD) - Opening event at the B&O Railroad Museum
Baltimore-based artists (artists living and/or working in and around Baltimore, MD)
Four artists will receive $500 each upon selection and acceptance of participation in this project. Further compensation, including materials costs and a stipend, will be provided during the installation phase of the project.
QUESTIONS & CONCERNS
Please do not hesitate to contact Jemn Napper at [email protected]
B&O Railroad Museum Mission and Project Vision:
Comprised of the oldest and most comprehensive collection of railroad history in the Western Hemisphere, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum is a unique cultural and educational asset for Baltimore and the nation. With an unparalleled roster of the 19th and 20th century railroad equipment, original shop buildings, and surviving tracks at the historic Mt. Clare site, the Museum strives to be an integrated resource to present the economic, social, and cultural impact of railroading on American society.
STREET ART COMPETITION VISION
Project Mission: As a community we share many things, starting with our geographical location. Filled with various idioms and intersections of humanity, our relation to one another is fortified by strong ties to the land and how we all arrived. We live here, we grow here, we establish connections with those from near and far through networks of communication and transportation. Our many footsteps continue to pave the way to our next juncture, just as the tracks of the railroad do for the travelers, wanderers, and future acquaintances. The B&O Railroad was the first public railroad in the United States, and right here in Baltimore it began a revolution in American society’s understanding of itself as an ever increasingly interconnected continent and people.