APPLY TO THIS CALL
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $35.00
Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center’s
2019 Representing the West: A New Frontier Exhibition
Enter the Representing the West: A New Frontier juried exhibition. More than $5,000 in prize money will be awarded, including Best of Show, 1st Prize, 2nd Prize. People’s Choice Award winner will be offered the opportunity for a one-person show in one of the Sangre de Cristo Arts Center’s galleries. Representing the West: A New Frontier is open to all artists. We are interested in artwork in any medium that considers the changing cultures and myths of the American West. We welcome non-traditional subject matter, materials and concepts as well as traditional depictions of the West, including video submissions.
Juror: Tony Ortega
Master of Fine Arts, May, 1995 - University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado,
Associate of Arts, Fine Art, August, 1982 - Rocky Mountain School of Art, Denver,
Bachelor of Arts, Commercial Spanish; Certificate in Latin American Studies, August, 1980 - University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado,
Tony Ortega holds an MFA in drawing and painting from the University of Colorado and is currently a full professor for Regis University. He is the recipient of the coveted Governor's Award for Excellence in the Arts (1999) and the Mayor's Award for Excellence in the Arts (1998). He has been a working artist and teacher for the past 30 years. Tony Ortega’s lifelong goal is to contribute to a better understanding of cultural diversity by addressing the culture, history and experiences of Latinos through his art. His work can be found in Denver Art Museum, Los Angeles County Museum and the Colorado Springs Fine Art Center. Tony’s artwork is represented in Denver, Colorado at the William Havu Gallery. He has exhibited in United States, Latin America and other parts of the world. For more information, please visit his web site at: www.tonyortega.net.
November 2, 2018: Digital images or audio/video files, artist statement (200 words or less), entry fees due
November 12, 2018: Notification of acceptance will be via email and phone call
January 11, 2019: Artwork drop-off or delivery, completed inventory sheet, high-resolution images (see Rules) and signed contract for accepted works
February 1, 2019: First day of exhibition
February 1, 2019 Opening reception 4:30 - 7 p.m.
February 2, 2019 Artists’/Juror’s Talk 11:00 a.m. - Noon
May 2, 2019: Last day of exhibition
May 6-17, 2019: Artwork pickup or return
1. Representing the West: A New Frontier is open to all artists. We are interested in original artwork in any medium that considers the changing cultures and myths of the American West. We welcome non-traditional subject matter, materials and concepts as well as traditional depictions of the West, including video submissions. We require an artist’s statement of 200 words or less explaining how your work represents the West.
2. Artists may enter online at:
www.callforentry.org or via email at [email protected].
CDs or thumbdrives can be mailed to:
Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center
210 N. Santa Fe Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81003
All images MUST be submitted in digital form. Non-digital images will not be considered for acceptance into the exhibit. We request high-resolution images with a resolution of at least 300 dpi, or greater, and as a .tiff or .jpg that can be reproduced at 1,650 pixels wide. Video artists are requested to provide a still image with submission. Works must have been completed within the last three years (2015 or later) and must not have been previously shown at the Sangre de Cristo Arts Center.
3. Non-refundable entry fee of $35 includes up to five entries per artist.
4. Limit of five entries per artist.
5. All wall-hung pieces must arrive prepared for hanging. No saw-tooth hangers please! All works on paper must be framed under glass or plexiglass. 3D pieces must be stable and ready to display. All pieces must be clean and in good condition. CDs or thumbdrives are acceptable if files are in a format we can open. If we can’t open the files, we’ll contact you.
6. Sangre de Cristo Arts Center manages all sales and receives a 40% commission on the retail price. Work that is accepted to the show must remain on exhibit through May 6, 2018. No payments will be made to artists without a current, complete W9 form.
$3,500 - Best of Show
$1,000 - 1st prize
$500 - 2nd prize
Solo Exhibit – People’s Choice
Insurance is carried by the Sangre de Cristo Arts Center. Every responsible precaution will be taken to ensure the safety of your artwork. SdC will not insure artworks in transit. Entry to the Representing the West: A New Frontier exhibit will be considered acceptance of the waiver of liability. Artists will be responsible for transportation to and from the exhibition at their own expense and risk. SdC will not pay for shipping, or make arrangements for shipping of accepted artworks. Return shipping must be paid or prepaid by the artist.
Payment of fees
Payment of fees will be handled through the www.callforentry.com payment procedures, by check to Sangre de Cristo Arts Center ATTN: RTW, or by credit card, at the Welcome Center or by phone (719-295-7200).
For more information, please contact me via the information provided below:
LuDel Walter, Visual Arts Coordinator
Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center
719-295-7200 ext. 7218; [email protected]