CALL FOR ENTRY We invite artists to create a 6’ square chalk painting on Little Italy’s South High Street for three of the event days (October 2-4). The street will come alive as it is transformed into fine works of art. The theme of the art is “The World is Round.” Artists may set up a booth or table, free of charge to sell their artwork. The booth must be manned at all times.
EVENT SUMMARY. This 4-day cultural event will showcase elaborate chalk paintings created by artists directly on the streets of Little Italy. The event will be enhanced with Italian food, wine, theater, music and dance in a celebration of the contemporary renaissance of Baltimore’s historic Italian neighborhood. Our model for this event originated in Italy in a tradition that dates back to the 16th century — the art of street painting. Historically, i madonnari were wandering artists in Italy who traveled village to village to earn their livelihood at various festivals and on holy days. The artists often depicted religious images in their paintings, thus earning their name. Such a festival was first introduced in America in Santa Barbara, California in the 1980s. Today, street painters create breathtaking traditional and expressionistic compositions using the street as their canvas and chalk pastels as their medium.
RULES FOR SUBMISSION AND FESTIVAL PARTICIPATION:
1. Artists under the age of 18 must have a parent/guardian.
2. Artists must submit 3-5 examples of their art (must be a JPEG or JPG with file name formatted as their first and last name_the title of that artwork, example: JaneDoe_Madonna and Child.jpg) in addition to a sketch of their intended mural for the festival (JaneDoe_MuralSketch.jpg) accompanied by a statement explaining their concept.
3. Artwork should be appropriate for all viewing ages.
4. Use only chalk pastels as a medium. NO paints, oils, gesso, liquid pastels or fixatives. Water is allowed.
5. Artists must allow organizers and media to photograph the design and/or artist for publicity purposes.
6. Artists will be courteous, friendly and helpful to fellow artists and members of the public.
7. All artist submissions to this call for entry are subject to approval or rejection by the Madonnari Arts Festival Curator.
8. The undersigned acknowledges and hereby forever discharges, releases and holds harmless the Organizers of the festival from any loss or damage to my person or property while participating in this event. By signing, the applicant certifies that all information provided is true and correct.
AWARDS. In lieu of stipends, prizes will be awarded this year. A $1,000 CASH PRIZE WILL BE AWARDED TO THE BEST WORK! Second and Third places will win $500 and $350, respectively. A People’s Choice cash prize of $250 will also be awarded. There will be a panel of celebrity jurors to determine the winners. Festival attendees’ submissions will determine the people’s choice winner.