The Maryland History Day Outreach and Professional Development Assistant is a position at Maryland Humanities that supports the History Day program as well as related programs and professional development associated with the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources program. The Assistant will work closely with the Outreach and Professional Development Coordinator to develop and implement a primary source-based curriculum for middle and high school students as well as professional development sessions for teachers who are engaged in primary document analysis and research as part of participation in Maryland History Day. The Maryland History Day Outreach and Professional Development Assistant will travel regularly throughout Maryland to promote the use of the curriculum and assist teachers (70%), as well as support the Maryland History Day Program Officer in the planning, preparation, and execution of the Maryland History Day contest (30%).
Key goals include:
- Building resources to facilitate primary source analysis and project-based learning by students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Educating Maryland students and teachers about resources made possible by the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources program as well as the Maryland History Day program
- Providing Maryland teachers and students with training on the use of primary and secondary sources, especially in research projects.
- Assisting Maryland teachers in meeting C3 and Common Core standards through the use of primary sources
A more complete description of all duties can be found at https://www.mdhumanities.org/about-us/jobs-internships/maryland-history-day-outreach-assistant-3/.
- Experience in public speaking, preferably in classrooms
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to cultivate positive and productive relationships and partnerships with a wide range of cultures, people, and organizations
- Ability to work remotely, with a sound internet connection, and work some in the Maryland Humanities office at 108 West Centre Street, Baltimore for occasional meetings
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings
- Commitment to Maryland Humanities’ mission, vision, and values (see https://www.mdhumanities.org/about-us/mission-vision-values/)
- Teaching background
- Experience with Special Education Students and English Language Learners
- Experience working with historical documents
- Understanding of the Maryland History Day program
- A Bachelor's degree in History, Education, or a related field; an Advanced degree in History, Education, or related field preferred
- This position requires regular travel within the state of Maryland.
Work at the Maryland Humanities office (108 West Centre Street, Baltimore, MD 21201) with remote teleworking as needed
Position is full-time at 35 hours per week with a pay rate of $17 per hour. This currently is a temporary position until December 18, 2020, when it will be re-assessed for possible extension.
Maryland Humanities is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Accordingly, all terms and conditions of employment will be carried out without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability. Maryland Humanities will not tolerate acts deemed to constitute discrimination or harassment based on gender, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Maryland History Day Outreach and Professional Development Assistant
Job Submission Requirements:
To apply, please prepare the following materials: cover letter and résumé. Submit requested items in a single PDF file via email to [email protected]
with the subject line as “MHD Outreach and PD Assistant;” no phone calls please.
Applications accepted through June 5, 2020. Interviews with qualified candidates conducted June 8 to June 19, 2020 with an anticipated start on or about July 1, 2020.
Generous benefits package including 21 days annual paid vacation, 12 days annual paid sick leave, 12 annual paid holidays, health and life/long-term disability insurance, free parking, professional development funds, and 401(k) retirement account with employer contribution.