Single Carrot Theatre (SCT) is committed to creating 21st century learners and an increased desire for learning through ensemble building and collaborative performance. SCT is seeking a part-time teaching artist to co-facilitate current in-school programs and teach other theatre programs for afterschool programs in schools and various school groups. This position is an independent contractor position 10-15 hours a week. The ideal candidate would be available for all programs, but candidates who are available for some but not all of the programs below are still encouraged to apply.
- Part-Time Teaching Artist will co-facilitate and potentially lead various theatre education programs that Single Carrot provides.
- The teaching artist will be expected to arrive at location with adequate time prior to workshop time to set up the classroom, as well as clean up the classroom afterward.
- Teaching Artist will adhere to and create lesson plans, but must be able to think creatively and be able to respond to unexpected and last minute changes.
- The teaching artist is expected to attend planning and/or staff meetings at Single Carrot Theatre as requested. This position reports to the Artistic Director.
The World of Theatre, Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle School
- Co-Facilitate elementary and middle school classes. Teaching artists must have availability 9:30-11:30 a.m. M-F and occasional availability 11:30 a.m-1pm.
- Availablility to substitute for lead teaching artist when needed throughout the school day.
- Support lead teaching artist in implementing lesson plans and managing classroom.
- Assist with coordination and planning of spring production.
Other theatre workshops (on and offsite) as requested
- Ideal candidate would have some flexibilty to assist with other theatre educaction programs at SCT as needed.
- Teaching artist may be asked to facilitate ad-hoc workshops as requested.
- If new or short term programs arise, teaching artist would be asked to facilitate classes and workshops.
- Ideal candidate would have some availability to teach these workshops as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre or education, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Arts Education, specifically in theatre or performance.
- 2+ years teaching experience, elementary and middle school grade levels preferred.
- 2+ years theatre experience, performance or direction preferred.
- Experience working within a city school system preferred.
- Instructor must be able to pass a fingerprint and criminal background check.
Salary: $12-14 hourly
Teaching opportunities are contingent on funding and available programs
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume with references to [email protected].
No phone calls please.
ABOUT SINGLE CARROT THEATRE
The Single Carrot Theatre ensemble is a driving force for theatrical innovation in Baltimore—championing new, diverse, and socially significant works; reinvigorating the classics; creating vibrant theatrical experiences; and fiercely supporting the growth of artists.
Formed at the University of Colorado in 2005, Single Carrot Theatre moved to Baltimore in 2006. Now entering its 9th full season, Single Carrot theatre has produced 38 mainstage productions, participated in numerous collaborative endeavors with area nonprofits, offered extensive educational programming for both children and adults and engaged in international exchanges with theatre artists from Russia and Bulgaria. Single Carrot Theatre moved to a permanent home in January 2014. Firmly planted in Baltimore, Single Carrot Theatre has made it a priority to be a part of the community and to engage and empower Baltimore’s residents through theatre.
Single Carrot Theatre is an ensemble based theatre company where the ensemble artists of the organization also serve administrative roles. Each ensemble member has voting rights and is actively involved in any big picture decisions and creation of new policy.
Single Carrot Theatre is committed to building a diverse community of staff, interns and artists. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.