The Manager of Corporate & Foundation Giving serves as a critical staff person in the Development team responsible for raising philanthropic support for the BSO through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of institutional partners with an emphasis on foundations and corporations in both the Baltimore and greater Washington, D.C. markets. The BSO’s institutional campaign is presently comprised of a baseline portfolio of 125+ entities, which generate more than $5M in annual grants and sponsorships in support of the BSO’s year-round musical presentations, education, and outreach programs as well as special initiatives. The Manager will be responsible for managing a mixed portfolio of mid- to large- corporate sponsors and foundations donors. In this capacity, the Manager will play a critical role in the delivery of and regular review of donor recognition and benefits; solicitation and reporting calendars; and, creating written and visual/graphic proposal and report materials, in turn aiding consistency in overall institutional communications. The position is based in the BSO offices at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, MD.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working closely with Director and Vice President as needed, identify and develop new sources of corporate and foundation funding; and, provide regular metrics on portfolio activity and successes.
- Manage a mixed portfolio of 75+ corporate and foundation funders with established or prospective annual giving at the $10,000 to $100,000 level. This includes but is not limited to:
- Prepare sponsorship proposals, grant requests and reports that demonstrate consistency of institutional voice, a compelling narrative and thoughtful impact analysis;
- Leverage and update a centralized grants and sponsorship management calendar for all communications with existing and prospective funders (regularly checking and adding in deadlines, new prospects, etc.);
- With support from a services coordinator, manage and implement year-round benefits delivery and stewardship plans for institutional donors including event activation.
- Help to manage the organization’s Crediting Grid, in coordination with the Marketing department, to ensure proper donor crediting in all BSO recognition vehicles.
- Support standardized operating procedures and data integrity, providing updates to donor records and research notes in the BSO’s Tessitura database for funder reporting, moves management and communications;
- Build communications with Marketing/PR, Artistic Operations, and Education & Community Engagement staff, serving as a key liaison for information sharing with Development department colleagues about core programs;
- In addition to annual giving, the Manager will seek and coordinate collaborative opportunities for blended or special gifts inclusive of the Gala, artistic projects (commissions, tours, technology, etc.) and education programs (including BSYO and specific collaboration with the Direct of Development for Orchkids).
- A strong writer, the Manager will contribute to the creation of an Annual Report for efficient use in the Institutional campaign, and to enhance transparency, reporting and showcasing across all donor and audience categories.
- Represent the BSO and interact with all levels of the organization and donors.
- Work concerts and special events as needed to entertain existing partners and prospects.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of two to three years of experience in institutional fundraising in the non-profit field, preferably in the arts, or equivalent experience (e.g. corporate and business relations, grant management, etc.)
- Knowledge of either the Baltimore and/or Montgomery County markets is required, while both is preferred
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop clear and compelling written and verbal proposals, reports, etc.
- Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundraising practices
- Proficiency in Tessitura or other development technology for constituent management
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends on occasion
$40,000 - $50,000
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Inc.
Manager, Corporate and Foundation Giving
Job Submission Requirements:
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter, resume, and two (2) writing samples to Allison Burr-Livingstone, Vice President of Development at [email protected]
Please put the title of the job position in the subject line of your email. No calls or fax please.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• The BSO offers a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits to all full-time employees including:
o Health insurance – two options to choose from (HMO or PPO High Deductible); all at low cost to the employee
o Dental, Life, and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid 100% by the BSO
o Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
o A 403(b) plan
o Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Accounts, including Medical and Dependent Care
o Employee Assistance Program
o Free and / or discounted tickets to BSO concerts