Port Discovery Children's Museum is one of the top Children's Museums in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Our mission is to educate children through play and to inspire life-long learning. This is an exciting time to join our team as we re-imagine the Museum through new world class exhibits and programming.
As a member of the Education Department, the Programming and Events Specialist works to provide engaging, high quality content in Port Discovery’s programs. The Specialist researches, creates, implements, and evaluates innovative educational performances, activities, programs, and events for young children (birth through age 10) and their families that support Port Discovery’s commitment to offer innovative, interactive, playful and engaging learning experiences. In addition to leading, facilitating, and engaging in direct programs with museum visitors, the Specialist holds primary administrative and logistical responsibility for programs and events for the museum’s daily guests.
The Workweek for this position is currently Tuesday through Saturday but is subject to change. Scheduled work hours will be adjusted according to department/museum needs. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends, and holidays will be necessary.
Port Discovery is seeking individuals who are:
- Passionate about creating and delivering extraordinary learning experiences for children and their families.
- Administratively strong, with great attention to detail and organization skills.
- Enthusiastic about play and making a difference in children’s lives and the community.
- Supportive of the museum’s core values of Respect, Connections, Innovation and Drive for Excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Performing Arts, Education or a related field required.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of administrative experience, preferably in an educational setting, required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in public programming, preferably with children and families, required.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office software, required.
- Event planning experience preferred.
- Museum experience is a plus.
- Must have interest in working closely with children, parents, educators, and museum staff in developing and delivering an exceptional museum experience.
- Must have excellent presentation, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Independent problem solving and decision-making skills are necessary for success.
- A valid driver's license and reliable non-public transportation are required (for outreach activities).
Sampling of Responsibilities:
- Researches, creates, implements, and evaluates innovative educational activities, programs, and events for young children (birth through age 10) and their families that support Port Discovery’s commitment to offer innovative, interactive, playful and engaging learning experiences.
- Works closely with all other museum departments to create a cohesive team effort and exemplary museum experience.
- Trains, mentors and supports Guest Services staff on programs, from concept development to implementation through group trainings, individual trainings, modeling, coaching, and collaboration to ensure quality programming and an exceptional museum experience.
- In coordination with the Associate Director of Educational Programming, the Exhibits Department, and Education team members, plans, coordinates, and engages in purchasing, set-up, restock, and maintenance of equipment, materials, and manipulatives in designated areas, such as the Previews, Pop-Ups & Prototypes space.
- Provides assistance in the delivery of museum programming as needed and appropriate (e.g., guided programs for school groups, museum tabletop activities, early literacy programs such as Mother Goose on the Loose and Circle Time, and Outreach programs).
- Maintains museum Performance Calendar and updates Museum Calendar when needed.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Ability tolerate moderate to loud noise level in the work environment (in the museum and at outreach locations).
- Ability to communicate with guests of all ages.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- World class training and programming
- A generous benefits package which includes: health benefits, company provided life and disability, 401k retirement savings, vacation, sick and personal days.
Please send us your resume, cover letter and salary requirements if you are interested in joining our mission to educate children through play!
Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.