The Director, Individual Gifts & Affiliated Programs will have a convincing track record of developing an effective, comprehensive annual giving program. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, this position will have comprehensive oversight of individual giving programs below $10,000 and will be responsible for leading the annual fund team’s successful execution of donor recognition, stewardship, benefits fulfillment, prospecting and special events for all development areas and for direct fundraising targets of more than $2.5 Million on a base of 5,000 donors to the Governing Members, Symphony Society, and Membership campaigns; in addition, the position will personally be responsible for portfolio management, securing new Governing Members as well as moving Governing Members up to Major Gifts. This position requires experience and enthusiasm to build and expand upon a strong annual giving program. Position is based in the BSO offices at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, MD but also includes collaborative oversight and strategic implementation of the BSO’s Annual Fund and affiliated membership programs at our second home out of Strathmore.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Individual Giving/Annual Fund Leadership (50%)
- A senior member of the BSO’s development operation with responsibility for comprehensive oversight and success of individual giving programs (individual gifts below $10,000).
- Create and manage a comprehensive plan for each year's individual annual gifts campaigns – Governing Members ($3,000+), Symphony Society ($1,200+), and Membership (under $1,200).
- Managing an individual prospect portfolio.
- Direct all aspects of highest-level patrons and benefits program including stewardship, special
events, cultivation, benefits fulfillment, daily donor interaction, and volunteer management.
- Develops goals for each component of the individual campaign as well as an overall goal by researching historical data and incorporating current events that may affect fundraising.
- Supervise the planning and development of solicitation materials for all aspects of the Annual Fund including a brochure, solicitation mailings, campaign correspondence, and donor acknowledgments as appropriate.
- Regular collaboration with other BSO departments, as well as direct interaction on a regular basis with Governing Members Executive Committee, BSO Player’s Committee, and BSO President and CEO.
- Support and Guide the work of the Governing Members Executive Committee and supporting sub-committees.
- Report campaign progress to Volunteers Chairs and senior management on a regular basis.
- Supervise the contracting, management, and evaluation of a professional telefundraising firm.
- Direct supervision of four FTE positions:
- Manager of the Annual Fund (database, telefunding/direct mail, Meyerhoff Symphony Society)
- Annual Fund Coordinator, BSO at Strathmore (telefunding/direct mail, Strathmore Symphony Society & Governing Members)
- Member Events Coordinator (special events, donor stewardship, cultivation events & trips, Baltimore Symphony Associates liaison)
- Development Operations Coordinator (gift processing, data and operations, acknowledgements)
- Direct supervision of three part-time positions:
- Governing Members Lounge Bartender (concert night staff, 10-15hrs/wk)
- Governing Members Lounge Host (concert night staff, 10-15hrs/wk)
- Baltimore Symphony Associates Office Manager (directly overseen by the BSA President, 20hrs/wk)
- Develop, administer, and oversee all aspects of the Individual Giving and benefits fulfillment budget planning and expense tracking processes.
- Direct teams responsible for individual annual fund campaigns, donor and event servicing programs, and benefits fulfillment.
- Oversees the preparation and analysis of statistical data for campaign reporting and solicitation planning purposes
Organizational Support (10%)
- With the support of the team, working to ensure Tessitura, the BSO’s donor database software, supports the department's fundraising efforts in coordination with I.T. Department.
- Represent the Development department on internal matters and to external constituencies as needed.
- Maintain excellent relationships with BSO and The Music Center at Strathmore colleagues, senior staff members, and Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of four (4) years increasingly responsible development and managerial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, recruit, and engage donors as well as experience supporting volunteer solicitors to successfully cultivate and close gifts from individual donors.
- Excellent organization, writing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Track record of achieving progressively increasing revenue goals in a volunteer-centered environment.
- Ability to handle multiple jobs in a demanding environment.
- Flexibility to adjust schedule as needed for support at events, which frequently occur on evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of Tessitura
- A background and/or interest in symphonic music.
- Master’s degree in Arts Administration, Arts Management, Non-Profit Management, or similar field.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- The BSO offers a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits to all full-time employees including:
- Health insurance – two options to choose from (HMO or PPO High Deductible); all at low cost to the employee
- Dental, Life, and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid 100% by the BSO
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
- A 403(b) plan
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Accounts, including Medical and Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free and / or discounted tickets to BSO concerts
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter and resume to Allison Burr-Livingstone, Vice President of Development at
Please put the title of the job position in the subject line of your email. No calls or fax please.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer