The Walters Art Museum, located in the historic Mount Vernon district in Baltimore, offers challenging and creative work opportunities by promoting collaboration and teamwork. Our mission is to bring art and people together for enjoyment, discovery, and learning. We promote and model a culture that celebrates the diversity and inclusion of all our staff, visitors, and members.
The Walters Art Museum is seeking to fill a new Grants and Development Coordinator position to assist the museum’s institutional and individual fundraising efforts. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing, editing, and time management skills, with prior experience working with grants and/or sponsorships as well as annual giving and/or membership cycles. They will have a passion for the mission and work of the Walters and work well in a collaborative setting. The ability to follow guidelines and work under multiple deadlines is also vital. This position will work closely with the development services team and the development managers. The position reports directly to the Manager of Institutional Giving.
- Write letters for a variety of audiences including members and foundations
- Write clear and compelling proposals for museum operations and programs
- Provide editing and proofing support for the department
- Provide administrative and technical support for grant submissions, including submitting applications through online portals
- Collect and/or create supporting documents and attachments, including budgets
- Maintain institutional giving records and track activity in databases (Raiser’s Edges NXT) and tracking systems (Excel)
- Assist with maintenance of the grants calendar
Membership and Major Gifts
- Assist in the process and production of monthly membership renewals, acknowledgments, and donor correspondence, including assembling mailings
- Support the department with presentation folders and other briefing materials
- Conduct prospect research with identification of new prospects for Institutional and Individual giving
- Assist with content generation for major gift proposals for exhibition support and restricted gifts
- Assist with reports for Endowments and donor stewardship for Individual Giving
General Development Support
- Conduct prospect research on attendees in advance of special events; help prepare briefing documents for in-person meetings
- Cross-train on gift entry in Raiser’s Edge NXT and serve as tertiary back-up to Database Coordinator
- Attend and assist with special events and fundraisers to support the development team
- Participate in organization-wide planning, committees, and fundraising activities, as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Must be attentive to detail, follow guidelines, and meet multiple deadlines.
- A high level of initiative, excellent interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Able to work independently and in a team setting with strong interpersonal skills.
- High level of ability to exercise discretion with sensitive information, maintain confidentiality and use sound judgment.
- Flexibility and self-initiative with a high standard for quality work
- Ability to occasionally work evening and weekend hours
- Raiser's Edge experience a plus.
- Experience and/or interest in the arts and culture