Port Discovery Children's Museum is one of the top Children's Museums in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Our mission is to educate children through play and to inspire life-long learning. This is an exciting time to join our team as we re-imagine the Museum through new world class exhibits and programming.
As a member of the Guest Services leadership team, the Associate Director of Guest Services works to ensure the highest level of visitor enjoyment, safety, and experience at Port Discovery Children’s Museum. The Associate Director is responsible for the hiring, training, and supporting all museum floor staff and providing and maintaining exceptional standards of customer service, cleanliness and physical appearance of all publicly accessible spaces. The Associate Director supports the Guest Services department and their daily operations, including volitional visitor support and engagement, school and camp group visits, exhibit preparation and cleanliness, catered events, birthday parties, and Overnight Adventures, in connection with the Director of Guest Services and other departments within Port Discovery.
This is a full time 40-hour per week position. The work week is currently Tuesday through Saturday but is subject to change. Scheduled work hours will be adjusted according to department/ museum needs. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends, and holidays will be necessary.
Sampling of Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the Director of Guest Services and other Museum departments, ensure the highest level of visitor enjoyment, safety, and experience at Port Discovery Children’s Museum consistent with the Museum’s mission and values of respect, innovation, connections, and drive for excellence.
- Manage the hiring and training of museum floor staff, the daily floor operations of the museum, and the provision and maintenance of exceptional standards of customer service, cleanliness, and physical appearance of all publicly accessible spaces.
- Support the Director of Guest Services in all aspects of the Guest Services department and their daily operations, including volitional visitor support and engagement, school and camp group visits and program delivery, exhibit preparation and cleanliness, catered events, birthday parties, and Overnight Adventures, in collaboration with other departments within Port Discovery.
- Maintain working knowledge of the all exhibit areas and museum programming, special events, and exhibit schedules.
- Establish goals, standards of performance, and standard operating procedures which promote consistently high-quality experiences for visitors.
Port Discovery is seeking individuals who are:
- Passionate about creating a world-class experience for our museum visitors.
- Enthusiastic about play and making a difference in children’s lives and the community.
- Supportive of the museum’s core values of Respect, Connections, Innovation and Drive for Excellence.
- Calm under pressure and have excellent communication skills.
- A role model for museum staff.
- Minimum 3-5 years of managerial experience in visitor services or guest relations capacity.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in hospitality, early childhood settings, attractions, or museum/cultural organizations.
- Museum experience a strong plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated experience in delivery of exemplary customer service and engagement.
- Demonstrated success in hiring and managing large teams of full and part-time staff, including the ability to give direction, motivate and retain staff, and hold others accountable.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate staff and foster a positive work environment.
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of ethnic, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to identify and positively resolve visitor issues and concerns.
- Experience using evaluation and analysis to improve the visitor experience a plus.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; able to speak and write clearly and present information to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent strategy, time-management, organizational, and critical thinking skills.
- Consistent drive and ability to take ideas from vision to implementation. Ability to be proactive, take initiative, and operate independently.
- Ability to manage effectively in a fast-paced environment while maintaining excellent guest service.
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and special events as necessary
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
- Able of walk and stand for long periods of time.
Port Discovery provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. Additional benefits include:
- Convenient location next to a subway stop, or we offer free parking
- Free admission to the Museum for family
- World class training and programming
- A generous benefits package which includes: health benefits, company provided life and disability, 401k retirement savings, vacation, sick and personal days.
Send us your resume and cover letter, and let’s start this journey together!
Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.