Port Discovery is seeking a Community Outreach Coordinator to lead in the direct service and facilitation of outreach educational programming for the museum. The Coordinator will develop and facilitate educational activities and programs through Museum on the Road, Museum on the Move, After School, Port to Port and summer partnership programming. Duties will include assisting in the organization and prioritization for the team, providing oversite in the areas of daily schedules, material preparation, material inventory, quality control, as well as program implementation, facilitation and evaluation.
The schedule for this position will be Tuesday through Saturday, totaling 40 hours weekly. Schedules are subject to change according to department/ museum needs. Participation in special events, evenings, weekends and holidays will be necessary.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum is one of the top Children’s Museums in the United States and a top cultural institution in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. Our mission is to educate children through play and to inspire life-long learning. This is an exciting time to join our team as we re-imagine the Museum through new world class exhibits and programming starting this Spring.
Port Discovery is seeking individuals who are:
- Passionate about reaching children and families of the greater Baltimore area, as well as the state of Maryland.
- Driven to ignite creativity, imagination, curiosity and engagement in playful learning.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, creative, dependable and flexible.
- Calm under pressure and have excellent communication skills.
- Weekly direct service through Museum on the Road and After School.
- Regular direct service through Museum on the Move, Port-to-Port, and summer programming as assigned seasonally.
- Assists with programmatic oversight and quality control of Museum on the Road, Museum on the Move, After School, Port-to-Port, and summer partnership programming.
- Provides creative input and feedback on new and existing programs.
- Assists with Museum on the Road, Museum on the Move, After School, Port-to-Port, and summer partnership programming consumable/ equipment preparation and inventory.
- Assists with data tracking and grant reporting, as well as assists in the preparation of the documents as they relate to designated areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in progress, or completed preferred (in Education, Early Childhood, Human Services, or a related field).
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ working with children in an educational, recreational setting.
- Experience in public speaking, enrichment program delivery, preferably with children and families, required.
- Must have interest in working closely with children, parents, educators, and museum staff in delivering an exceptional museum experience.
- Experience in outreach and/ or out of school programs, summer camps etc.
- Experience in group management. (ie. group leader, after school lead, camp consoler, team leader, managing staff or volunteers, etc.)
- Experience in data tracking, management, evaluation and reporting.
- Experience in inventory and managing materials.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, creative, dependable and flexible qualities.
- Must have excellent presentation, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Independent and thoughtful problem solving, decision-making and attention to detail.
- Exemplifies core values: respect, connection, innovation, drive for excellence.
- Ability to work a flexible, variable schedule, including some holidays, evenings and weekend days.
- A valid driver's license and reliable non-public transportation are required (for outreach activities).
Port Discovery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.