The Orianda House was built around 1856 by Thomas Winans. It was a magnificent villa located on three hundred acres of land in the western part of Baltimore. Thomas Winans lived there with his wife, Mrs. Thomas Dekay Winans. Mr. Winans usually called the estate "Crimea" and the large house "Orianda".
The Friends of Orianda House, in partnership with Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound, was founded to help protect the historical legacy of this estate and local area. In times of progress, we have lost many things on this historical property, such as the doll house, which was a replica of the mansion, the overseer's house and farm, the bowling alley, a gas house, a round barn, and a log cabin.
One of the purposes of this group is to diligently work to preserve the Orianda mansion, to help create a time capsule for historical accounts of this area's famous - and not so famous - families and their daily lives.
Every day, as we step into our future, we lose a little of our past; we stress now is the time for the Baltimore community to step up to the plate to help preserve this wonderful estate. Right now, Friends of Orianda has an office space within the walls of Orianda, which includes a large pictorial collection. We would like this house to become a monument to the Winans family for generations to come.
Crimea Estate Leakin Park Campus
Gwynns Falls Historical Information Center
1901 Eagle Dr
Baltimore Maryland 21207
View Nearby Restaurants