CALLING ALL “NICE KIDS”: BALTIMORE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA ANNOUNCES OPEN AUDITIONS FOR SUPPORTING ROLES IN HAIRSPRAY AS PART OF ITS 100TH ANNIVERSARY SEASON
BSO Seeks Talented Teenagers to Portray “Nicest Kids In Town” and “Record Shop Patrons” On Stage with John Waters in Performances in June 2016
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra has put out an open call inviting singers, actors and performers to audition for supporting roles as Nicest Kids in Town and Record Shop Patrons in the orchestra’s upcoming semi-staged production of Hairspray: In Concert June 2-5, 2016 in Baltimore at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall and at its North Bethesda home at The Music Center at Strathmore.
Hairspray is the story of Tracy Turnblad, a Baltimore teenager whose dream is to dance on the fictional Corny Collins Show. John Waters’ acclaimed Broadway show calls for several teenaged actors to play Nicest Kids in Town, backup singers and dancers for the Corny Collins Show, as well as Record Shop Patrons, kids Tracy interacts with who frequent Motormouth Maybelle’s Record. The BSO will cast several teenagers in these roles, and seeks talented individuals to submit video applications for consideration.
The BSO is mounting Hairspray as part of its Centennial season, a celebration of the orchestra’s 100 years as a vital resource to the Baltimore community, featuring appearances by the world’s most renowned artists, many of whom got their start on the BSO stage; exciting signature projects and large-scale productions; world premieres of vital new work; and collaborations with cultural peers across the region.
All submissions must be submitted via email only to [email protected] by close of business on Monday, March 28, 2016, in order to be considered. Finalists will be invited back for live auditions on Friday, April 1 and Saturday, April 2 in front of the production team and judges. Additionally:
- All contestants must be at least 16 years of age
- Contestants understand they are being considered for supporting roles of “Nicest Kids in Town” or “Young Record Shop Patrons”
- All contestants must submit a video link that shows the applicant singing 16 bars of two contrasting songs, with at least one being musical theater; please include a resume and headshot if applicable
- In-person callback auditions will be held on April 1 and 2, 2016; location and times TBD
- If selected, actors must be able to commit to an intensive rehearsal and performance schedule between May 19, 2016 and June 6, 2016 during the day and evenings; please do not submit materials if this schedule isn’t possible
- Video submissions become the property of the BSO upon submission and may be used for future promotions
- Those who receive a callback audition should be prepared for a movement/dance audition
- Participant consents to and authorizes the use and production of all photographs, slides, film, audio, or video taken of the contestant at auditions or performances without further compensation
- Participants agree that contestant will be available for and participate with any and all legitimate media for interviews, photographs, radio or television tapings or appearances, and allow contestant’s voice and/or image to be broadcast without limitations or compensation
- All decisions made by BSO/Hairspray creative team are final